Living in the Norristown Community House is a serious commitment involving a thorough application and discernment process. Only those fully committed to growing in intimacy with God, community with others, and engagement with the world should apply.
Residents of the Norristown Community House must make a 9 month commitment to the program (Aug-May) with the option to stay for up to 2 years.
Residents may be:
- recent high school graduates who would like to enroll in our gap year program (Contact us for information on this new program!)
- local college students who want to live off campus in an urban context for a school year
- commuter students at local colleges
- recent college graduates who would like to get a not-too-stressful job and do something different for a year before settling into a career
Residents must commit 10 hours per week to life in the community. These hours include:
- weekly house dinners - where needs and concerns of those living in the house are addressed
- weekly discipleship discussions - focusing on various areas of spiritual transformation
- meetings with mentors - where individual growth is pursued
- volunteer involvement - serving with our partner organizations and in our neighborhood as needs and opportunities arise
- household chores - allowing everyone to be responsible for the care of their home and each other
- faithful church attendance - giving residents the opportunity to interact with other Jesus followers and experience the cultural diversity of Norristown
- participation in three weekend retreats - orientation, the Jubilee conference, and the May retreat